Wicker Conversation SetRather than feeling limited when decorating small patio spaces, think of compact decks and balconies as an opportunity for creativity. Making the most of your layout involves choosing compact outdoor furniture, opting for multifunctional pieces and selecting a few essential upgrades to give your patio a more spacious vibe.
Small Patio Space SeatingWe’ve all been to a party or get-together where finding a seat feels like a game of musical chairs. If your porch or deck is too small for a sectional or plush daybed, look for alternatives that save space while accommodating guests:
- Seating Sets – Browse 3pc sets with individual chairs or select a 4pc collection featuring a compact sofa. Need extra party seating? Keep a few comfortable folding chairs handy. You can stow them away effortlessly once the festivities are over.
3 Piece Seating set
- Patio Benches – An outdoor bench’s wide seating area can replace several chairs and leave room for a small coffee table or cocktail ottoman. Style a patio bench with cozy cushions and throw pillows or select one with built-in storage to keep your patio clutter-free.
White Distressed Storage Bench
- Small Sofas – Loveseats or settees make cozy small patio seating. A compact sofa keeps footpaths open while generous cushioning provides guests with plenty of comfort and support. Position a side table with shelving next to your small sofa to keep sunblock and a good book close at hand.
- Dining Sets – Need a small patio set for sunset cocktails on the deck? Opt for a 3pc or 4 pc collection if you have room. Round or square tables are your best bet for small patio spaces. Glass tabletops also make a tiny porch seem more spacious. Clear surfaces reveal walls and patio pavers, while a solid table blocks the view, making it seem more crowded.
3 Piece Dining Set
- Bar Sets – Amateur mixologists will love this option. Bar sets seat two or more people with stools that tuck away for maximum efficiency. Look for a home bar set with shelves to hold an ice bucket and extra glasses as well as drawers for bottle openers and corkscrews.
3 Piece Aluminum Framed Bar Set
- Bistro Sets – Parisian-style bistro sets evoke the feel of a breezy cafe on the Champs-Elysees. Ideal seating for cozy brunches, a wrought iron table and chairs arranged in a patio corner leaves plenty of room for a pair of chaise lounges or a relaxing rocker.
Wrought Iron Bistro Set
Multifunctional MarvelsWhenever possible, look for seating, tables and accessories that fulfill more than one purpose. Whether it’s a bar table with a built-in cooler or a patio chair with side storage compartments, these pieces go a long way toward keeping small patio spaces stylish and tidy. If your porch or deck goals include late-night chats with easy access to snacks and drinks, consider a console table. An ample surface allows for glasses, snack bowls, drinks and mixers while lower shelves can hold extra cushions. Half-moon console tables are also a lovely way to add lush plants and trailing vines without sacrificing any precious square footage. Love the idea of soft chenille throws and cushy velvet pillows on the patio but need a place to keep them out of the rain? Storage chairs are a great solution. Hinged seats hide compartments with ample room to protect blankets, cushions and other accessories from the elements.
White Storage ChairsFor porches and balconies that are truly tiny, replacing chairs with ottomans is a unique seating approach that works like a charm. Artfully arranged around a coffee table, a low profile set-up with storage ottomans mimics the look of chic Japanese-style seating.
The Little Things MatterAs you consider different small patio decorating ideas, you might believe you’ll have to forgo items like fire pits, lights and other upgrades. Sprucing up tiny outdoor spaces is easy when you select the right pieces, take advantage of overhangs or vertical space and add little touches that deliver extra comfort.
- Heat – Small outdoor heaters extend the use of your patio when the weather cools down. Lightweight, standalone heaters provide plenty of warmth within a small footprint. If you want flickering flames without a bulky fire pit, fire tables provide that warm glow as well as a convenient surface for drinks.
- Illuminate – The right lighting lets you relax long after the sun goes down. Strategically placed outdoor floor lamps take up minimal room while light and shadow add depth and dimension. Porches benefit from sconces, outdoor chandeliers or hanging pendant lights and these lamps take up zero floor space.
- Shade – On sun-drenched decks, a patio umbrella keeps everyone cool and comfortable. While cantilever models allow you to redirect shade as needed, a dining table with a built-in central port allows you to add an umbrella without taking up extra room. Canopies are another option as long as you ensure their measurements match the dimensions of your patio.
- Decorate – In addition to cushions and throws to cozy up your space, consider items like planters, outdoor rugs and wall decor to complete your design. Hanging plants lend a classic touch to porches and patios, while area rugs make wood, stone or brick softer underfoot. Weather-resistant wall art can also express your personality or unify a decor theme.
- Declutter – Tidy outdoor spaces are always more visually appealing. In addition to furnishings with compartments for cushions and accessories, a small storage container keeps pool toys, sunblock and towels in one convenient place.
Dining Fire Pit Table