Vacation-Themed Patio Decorating Ideas
When you’re unable to travel, establishing the appropriate patio layout design lets you bring your favorite vacation destination to you. Consider using some of the themed outdoor decorating ideas in this article to transform your backyard, terrace, deck or porch into a fun and relaxing at-home getaway.
Get inspiration for your own relaxing setup from the following outdoor staycation design ideas:
- Tropical Pool House Paradise
- Rustic Backyard Retreat
- Front Porch Cottage Escape
- Luxurious Penthouse-Style Patio
- At-Home Family Vacation Spot
Use comfortable furniture and decor to establish a personal backyard vacation spot for you and your family.
Tropical Pool House Paradise
With the right furnishings and a little creativity, you can establish a beachy backyard layout and imagine that you’re soaking up the sun at an ocean-front beach house or island resort. Center this design around your in-ground or above-ground pool. If you’re willing to take on a more extensive renovation project, you can build a sand pool to make the area look like a real beach.
Relaxing, lounge-worthy furnishings are essential to establishing an at-home tropical staycation spot. Furnish your setup with pool house decor such as adjustable chaise lounges and colorful hammocks. Place a round side table beside the seats to keep your sunscreen and cocktails within reach, and set up a canopy, cabana or cantilever umbrella for shade. Lastly, accent the space with:
- A small wicker bar set for casual poolside lunches
- Colorful, tropical-patterned rugs featuring palm frond and exotic plant motifs
- Outdoor storage chests to hold pool toys and towels
- Decorative wall art, tapestries and murals depicting your favorite beach-front locales
Woven wicker and rattan furniture work well in tropical-style layouts.
Rustic Backyard Retreat
Those who like to spend their vacations camping or roughing it in the wilderness might prefer a rustic-style staycation over a tropical one. Want to create a relaxing area to hang out after a day of backyard nature walks and fishing in the natural pond near your property? Start by designating a spot on your lawn or back deck for all your nature-inspired furniture and decor.
Place a wood conversation set with weathered Adirondack chairs in the middle of the space. Arrange the chairs around a steel fire ring or a stone fire pit so you can roast hot dogs and marshmallows. Or, place a grate over the flame so you can grill steaks. If you’re planning to camp in the yard overnight, set up a tent for a cozy spot to sleep after an evening of stargazing and scary stories.
Choose furnishings with natural wood finishes to complement the laidback, refreshing vibe of your rustic backyard hangout.
Front Porch Cottage Escape
For a softer take on a rugged, rustic staycation spot, try incorporating farmhouse and cottage-style pieces into your enclosed patio or front porch design. Roll out a fluffy, high-pile rug with a beautiful swirling or floral pattern, then top it with a wicker or wrought-iron seating arrangement. You can also add a small round bistro set if you intend to have guests over for tea parties and brunches.
If you plan to use this space to enjoy various hobbies like reading, writing or knitting, set up a padded rocker, glider or reclining lounge chair. Give the layout a warm, cozy boost by adding a chiminea to the corner and accenting your seats with plush poufs, cushions and throw pillows. Lastly, top your glass-top end tables with lanterns and planters of flowers to brighten and refresh the area.
Use a light outdoor color scheme full of soft blue, green and beige tones to enhance your cottage-style staycation spot’s charming appeal.
Luxurious Penthouse-Style Patio
Need backyard staycation ideas to suit your chic, contemporary tastes? Use sleek, modular furnishings to give your patio the look and feel of a high-end, open-air villa. Ultra-stylish, upscale designs like this work beautifully in sunrooms with floor-to-ceiling windows and on balconies and rooftop terraces where you can enjoy the breeze and take in the view of the city lights below.
Set up an aluminum dining set with a glass-top table and invite friends over for posh dinner parties in your at-home vacation destination. Add a low-profile sectional in an L- or U-shaped configuration for a cozy conversation area. Finally, incorporate the following decor items while sticking to a modern design and a black and white color scheme to evoke an air of sophistication throughout the space:
- Hang billowy fabric curtains from the rafters of your gazebo or pergola or set up privacy screens to create an outdoor room where party guests can have intimate conversations away from the rest of the group.
- Place serving carts with built-in coolers near the hot tub to keep cold drinks on hand while you soak.
- Cover the space with a retractable awning or another outdoor shade option if you’re furnishing a rooftop terrace, exposed balcony or uncovered courtyard.
- Use glittering string lights, tabletop candles or a modern patio chandelier to create the outdoor ambiance you’re going for.
- If there’s a pool in your chic setup, line it with sleek chaise lounges featuring black, white or metal finishes.
- Put a dazzling finishing touch on your design by adding a fireplace table with sparkling fire glass to the space.
With the right furniture, you can create a sleek, metropolitan atmosphere in a regular backyard or patio.
At-Home Family Vacation Spot
When amusement parks, carnivals and other family-friendly trips are out of the question, create a kid-friendly patio design to give youngsters an exciting, at-home vacation experience. Hang strings of blue, red, green and yellow lanterns for fun pops of color throughout the backyard. Also, use automated features like sound systems and projectors to play your kids’ favorite songs and videos.
Even if your home already has a swing set or playground for your little ones, consider adding other fun things for your kids to enjoy. Set up lawn toys and stations for activities like cornhole and volleyball. Let console tables and canopies serve as carnival game booths and concession stands. You can even rent a bounce house and give prizes when your kids win a game. From there, you can add:
- A picnic table or casual dining table where the kids can eat between games and activities
- Plush outdoor daybeds for teens who want to kick back and read or toddlers who might need a mid-day nap
- Pool inflatables and other water toys like sprinklers and splash pads
- A round conversation set where the whole family can play board games, chat and enjoy each other’s company
Divvy up your outdoor layout and designate each zone for a different kid-friendly activity.
Whatever your reasons for staying home during travel season, implementing some of these backyard staycation ideas can keep you and your family from missing out on the fun of a traditional vacation. Establish one of these stylish looks on your patio or get creative and come up with a unique and relaxing design of your own.