Wicker vs. Metal Outdoor Furniture
When it’s time to update your backyard design, there is much to take into consideration. It can be challenging to find outdoor furniture that’s stylish and within your budget. Two of the best available options are wicker and metal patio furniture. Check out this breakdown of both types to help you make an informed decision for your home.
What is Wicker?
Contrary to popular belief, the term “wicker” refers to the weaving process rather than the material. This opens up a world of possibilities for those who love the classic look of wicker furniture since you can find styles, colors, and maintenance levels to suit your needs.
Rattan is the most common organic fiber used to make wicker. Pliable and easy to work with, this fiber comes from palm stems. Manufacturers also often use synthetics like vinyl and resin for outdoor wicker furniture over an aluminum frame for added reinforcement. These pieces have the same chic look as their natural counterparts.
What is Metal?
You have several options when it comes to metal outdoor furniture. Each one has pros and cons, but the best choice comes down to your personal preference.
- Stainless Steel: The sleek look of this material can complement many different design styles. However, it is quite heavy, making it difficult to move and store.
- Wrought Iron: Wrought iron furniture is also heavy, which can help to anchor these pieces in windier conditions. Timeless and sophisticated, tables and chairs in this material will require periodic maintenance to look their best.
- Aluminum: Metal patio furniture made from aluminum is affordable and comes in an array of colors. These lightweight pieces require minimal effort to rearrange, and some are stackable for easy storage.
The resin used for most outdoor wicker furniture comes in a variety of hues, including natural-looking neutrals. Most metal patio furniture is also available in an assortment of colors, particularly aluminum, which can have a solid or textured finish. Wrought iron, however, typically comes in its signature matte black.
Highly versatile, both types of furniture coordinate with a range of styles. While many associate wicker with coastal and traditional decor, much of today’s selection works well in contemporary designs, too. You can opt for darker shades and clean lines to achieve this look.
The streamlined silhouettes of metal patio sets go well with modern exteriors, but the wide array of colors also creates some exciting design opportunities. Select brighter tints for a fun, eclectic backyard, or choose earthier tones to create a tropical vibe. Of course, wrought iron always has a timeless appeal.
Exploring Your Options
Whether you pick wicker or metal patio furniture, there are plenty of ways to decorate your deck or porch. Check out these suggestions for some inspiration:
- Poolside Fun: Enjoy long afternoons in the sun with a set of aluminum chaises and a chic metal patio set featuring an umbrella for shade.
- Cabana Getaway: Kick back for cocktail hour with a wicker bistro table and coordinating barstools.
- Rustic Retreat: Searching for metal fire pit ideas? Position wrought iron chairs around the fire for a cozy spot to relax under the stars.
- Traditional Lounge Area: Gather friends and family with a comfy wicker sectional set with plush cream cushions and a dark brown finish.
- Mix and Match: Get the best of both worlds by blending materials. Try pairing a classic wicker table with a couple of modern metal patio chairs.
Deciding Between Wicker vs. Metal Patio Furniture
Wicker and metal outdoor furniture each has unique benefits, so your final decision should come down to which type works best for your lifestyle and tastes. Both are versatile options that will allow you to enjoy your outdoor space more fully. Hopefully, this analysis helps you find the perfect fit.